Baby Perennial Dress

A couple of months ago, Suz from Sew Pony released a gorgeous dress pattern that I knew I wanted to sew up. I used the smallest size of The Perennial Dress, and I love the results.

Perennial Dress


Perennial Dress

Perennial Dress

Perennial Dress

I did make some changes to the pattern instructions, but they are all on the inside.

Perennial Dress

The main changes I made were to the seam allowances, so that I could use bias binding and french seams. The seam allowances I used were as follows:
  • 1/2 inch on side seams, shoulder and center back
  • 3/8 or 1cm at neckline
  • 1/4 inch on armholes and sleeves
  • No seam allowance on outer edge of facing.
Perennial Dress

Construction went as follows:
  • Bias bound outer edge of facing, two center back edges (as seen here).
  • Applied bias binding to the outsides of the sleeves (like seen here).
  • French seam shoulders (1/4" first pass, trim and 1/4" second pass)
  • Sewed neckline and finished attaching the facing. Made the button loop from the bias binding also.
  • Center back seam
  • Basted sleeves on, then used bias binding as a facing to attatch the sleeve and finish the whole armhole seam.
  • Sewed pockets and shirring.
  • French seam side seams
  • Used more bias binding on the hem :)
Perennial Dress

Thats a lot of bias tape! But I think it was worth it. Pretty, yes? You don't have to go as nuts with bias binding as I did, but I think it is a good way to finish the armhole.

I am happy with the dress. Cant wait to see it on a model :)

4 comments:

  1. Awesome! It looks very pretty! I have a flickr group if you would like to add it!! I think the lInk is in tge post on the dress:) suz

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is just gorgeous! You finishing makes it perfect - so neat and tidy! Love the lilac fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! It is very nice and your finishing looks very professional. Once again, great work!

    ReplyDelete